Our Approach is Supporting Parents
At Family Resource Center, we recognize the ever-changing landscape of parenting and we know it’s not easy to keep up!
But, what really is parenting education? It can be as quick as reading an article, or as involved as joining a group series. We aren’t born knowing how to handle a toddler tantrum or how to manage a teens connection to social media. You aren’t supposed to know all the answers, just knowing where to begin learning and finding support is the perfect start.
We believe parents are in charge of their parenting decisions. To make those decisions, you want information you can trust from people who see your strengths and honor your values.
We offer just that; evidence-based programming, information, and resources for raising children. But, it’s not just information parents need, parents also need support and community. Our programs offer weekly opportunities to connect with fellow parents and lean into the understanding, encouragement, and grace we can offer each other.
For nearly 30 years, Family Resource Center has supported Central Oregon families and caregivers with parenting education, resources, and referrals.
What do you learn in Parenting Classes?
Classes are usually grouped by the age of children: 0-5 years old, 6-12 years old, 13+ years old. If you have children that fit into multiple age groups, we can help you choose the best fit. Classes typically run from 5-12 weeks, depending on the series. They are offered in-person and virtually. Workshops and other events are targeted towards specific parenting strategies, challenges, or activities. All of our programming is evidence-based; not just some mumbo-jumbo someone put up on their blog. With Family Resource Center, you will learn critical parenting information to support you along the way:
- Age appropriate developmental expectations
- Discipline - what science tells us about spanking, time-outs, and other discipline strategies
- How to develop a trusting relationship with your child
- How to play with your child
- Ideas for family time and activities
- How to handle an angry child
- How to handle parenting stress in the moment & and prevent stress
- Emotional regulation
- Helping your child regulate their emotions
- School readiness
- Routine setting
- Positive parenting strategies
- Understanding trauma and parenting
- Screentime, cell phones, and TV
- How to handle power struggles with your child
- ADHD, ADD and parenting
- Promoting Growth Mindset
- Empathy in Parenting
- Mindfulness & Parenting Approaches
- Domestic Abuse
Ready to explore more? Take a look at our current offerings!
What kinds of questions come up in class?
Babies (0-2 years old)
- When is it safe for my baby to sleep on their tummy?
- When will my baby start sleeping through the night?
- Do babies dream?
- Why won't my baby sleep?
- When is it safe for a baby to sleep on their tummy?
- Do babies cry in the womb?
- Why do babies cry?
- How do I stop my baby from crying?
- What do I do if I feel judged breastfeeding?
- When is it time to stop breastfeeding?
- How do I know what to feed my baby?
- How do I baby-proof my house?
- How do I take a pacifier away?
- Can my baby see at 1 month?
- Do babies sweat?
- How can I tell if my baby is teething?
- Are babies color blind?
- How do I dress my baby for the different seasons?
Toddlers (2-5 years old)
- Why does my toddler repeat words?
- Why is my toddler constantly asking questions? Why? Why? Why?
- Why won't my 3 year old listen to me?
- What's the best way to handle a toddler who bites?
- When should kids start sharing?
- When do children start to understand the consequences of their actions?
- What if I spank my child?
- People pleasing & Toddlers
- How do I get my children to put their clothes, shoes, and toys away?
- How do I get my toddler to bed without fuss?
- How do I handle sleepovers?
- What should I feed my toddler?
- Why is my toddler eating so much?
- How do I get my child to stop throwing food?
- Why isn't my toddler eating?
- How do you potty train a boy?
- How do you potty train a girl?
- At what age should I start potty training?
- Who should potty train my child?
- What if I'm a single dad and my young daughter needs to use the bathroom at the mall, for example?
Child (5-12 years old)
- How do I stop yelling at my kid?
- How do I handle sibling fighting, rivalry, and competition?
- How do I discipline my child without spanking?
- How can I use time-out?
- What is positive discipline?
- How do I use praise
Child Social and Emotional Development
- Why is my child hyperactive?
- How do I help my children appreciate what we have and our privileges?
- How do I support my child when they are afraid of the dark?
- How do I talk about separation and divorce with my child?
- What if my child or teen wants to use different pronouns?
- How to help my child develop self-awareness and use "I statements"?
- How do I not hurt my child's feelings when I can't tell what they are drawing, making, or painting?
- How do I talk about separation and divorce with my child?
Child Physical Development
- When can my child get their ears pierced??
Children and Food
Children and Sleeping and Bedtime
- How do I get my kid to brush their teeth?
- How do I get my kids used to the school routine?
- How do I get my child to bed without fuss?
- Is it okay to co-sleep?
- Is co-sleeping safe?
- At what age should we stop co-sleeping?
- What are the pros and cons of co-sleeping?
Teens (13-18+ years old)
Teens & Screens
- How do I handle cell phones and screens with my teen?
Teens & Risky Behavior: Drugs, Sex, Alcohol, Smoking, Addiction, Self-Harm
- Why do teens do drugs?
- How do I talk to my teen about drug and alcohol use?
- Why do teens cut themselves? Why do teens self-harm?
- Why do teens drink alcohol?
- Why do teens smoke marijuana or tobacco?
- Why do teens vape?
- How do I talk to my teen about suicide?
Teens & Self-Esteem
- How do I support my teen with self-esteem issues like acne and weight?
- How do I promote a positive body image with my child?
Communicating with Teens
- How do I learn to understand my teen?
- How do I communicate with my teen
- Why does my teen lie?
- When should I talk to my teen about sex?
- When should I talk to my teen about puberty?
- Why does my teen respect me sometimes and disrespect at other times?
- How do I let my teenage daughter have the emotions she is going through? How do I help her funnel them appropriately?
Teens Physical Development
- What is a period party? Why might they be helpful?
- How do you help your daughter celebrate womanhood?
- Why does my teen sleep so much?
- Why are teens so impulsive?
- How do I handle parenting stress?
- What are stress reduction techniques I can do with my child?
- How can I use music to relax?
- How can I relax instantly?
- What if I don't have enough time to exercise?
- Using movement to regulate emotions as a parent
- How do I handle stress in front of my kids?
- Developing a parenting gratitude practice
- How to check in on your parenting stress?
- Where do parents hold stress?
- How to ground yourself during parenting?
- How can I immediately calm down so I don't blow up in front of my kids?
- Breathing techniques for parents
- How to sleep better as a parent?
- How to handle parenting anxiety in the moment?
- How do I regulate my emotions?
- How to offer yourself compassion as a parent.
- What do I do if I yelled at my child?
- How do I apologize for a mistake?
- What if my children see my spouse and I arguing?